[Tlhingan-hol] "Let’s Translate Walter White, Taylor Swift, and More into"... Klingon

Brent Kesler brent.of.all.people at gmail.com
Thu May 30 15:52:32 PDT 2013

Just my two cents...

On May 30, 2013 6:18 PM, "nIqolay q" <niqolay0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> For "The Wire" quote, I came up with voDleH DaHIvchugh DaqIpnIS though
> this loses some of the idiomatic nature of the original. Would
> DaqIpHa'be'nIS work for "need to not miss"? I'm not aware of a verb
> that means "miss a target".

How about {ta'Daq DaQeqchugh, DoS DaqIpnIS}? Literally, "If you aim at the
Emperor, you have to hit the target."

On May 30, 2013 6:33 PM, "Felix Malmenbeck" <felixm at kth.se> wrote:

> > "I drink your milkshake." — Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
>
> Maybe something like {qul DIrlIj vISop.}. It's something like a metaphor
for the harsh world of oil refinery, and supposedly, eating somebody's qul
DIr could suggest grabbing their opportunities.

The way I remember the movie, "I drink your milkshake" was also a metaphor
for drainage--by drilling oil from one parcel of land, Daniel got the oil
from underneath neighboring parcels so he didn't have to pay them any
royalties. Also, drilling into the ground is like sticking a straw into a
milkshake and slurping it out, so the metaphor works on multiple levels.

bI'reng