[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' cha'

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 00:40:36 PST 2012

De'vID:
> > [SULU: numup chunDabmey neH 'e' ja'Qo'!]
> > VALTANE: vIjatlhQo', qaH.  'evnagh mupbogh yu'egh'e' 'oH.

QeS 'utlh:
> I see what you've done to translate "shockwave", but to me {'evnagh
mupbogh
> yu'egh'e'} sounds a little too much like "a wave which strikes subspace",
> especially with the overt {-'e'} in it. What do you think about {HoS
yu'egh}?

I thought a subspace shockwave *was* a wave that strikes subspace.  I think
{'evnagh HoS yu'egh} is a bit too ambiguous and generic.  Maybe {'evnagh
yu'egh HoSghajqu'}?

QeS 'utlh:
> IIRC Praxis was rendered with Qay - {pIraQSIS} - in the paq'batlh.

I'll have to double-check this.  However, it is rendered {pIraqSIS} in
Monopoly.

De'vID:
> > SULU: *Valtane*, latlh De' ghaj'a'?

QeS 'utlh:
> Since this isn't a direct order, I'm not sure if this should be clipped.

I originally had a footnote on this, but removed it because I thought no
one would notice if I didn't point it out.  :-)  I wanted Sulu to switch
from clipped to standard as the situation calmed down.  However, I left
*this* line clipped, because it's clipped in English.  He asks, "any more
data?" and not "do you have any more data?"

De'vID:
> > VALTANE: ratlhbogh[1], qaH.

QeS 'utlh:
> Yeah, I see what you mean. Personally I'm not a fan of relative clauses
> without heads and I'd render it as {ratlhtaHbogh 'ay'Daj} "its portion
> which still remains".

maj.  I will make the change.

QeS 'utlh:
> majQa'! naDev "incident" 'oSchu' {wanI'Hom}. vIparHa'!

I very much like the use of the suffix {-Hom} here too.  In English, the
downplaying of the word "incident" is through context and tone of voice,
but in the Klingon it's quite explicit.

De'vID:
> > RAND: ghu'vam wIja''a', qaH?

QeS 'utlh:
> Despite the fact that there's no overt "need" in the English, I think the
> Klingon really could use {-nIS} here.

Yes, I see what you mean.  Changed.

De'vID:
> > SULU: bISaghHa''a'?[2]

QeS 'utlh:
> naDev {qID} vIlajqangbej jIH. qay'be' 'e' vIHar.

Dalaj 'e' vIpIH.  qay'be' 'e' vIHar je.  I just wanted to avoid the
too-obvious connection between "kid" and {qID} here.

lojmIt tI'wI'nuv:
> Given the emotional aspect of Sulu's line "Are you kidding?", I'd lean
even farther > and say {bIqIDba', qar'a'?}

Good suggestion.  Will do.

QeS 'utlh:
> majQa'. yImughtaH!

Thank you for your comments.  Keep them coming.