[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' cha'

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 12 07:19:38 PST 2012

ghItlhpu' De'vID, jatlh:
> VALTANE: vIjatlhQo', qaH.  'evnagh mupbogh yu'egh'e' 'oH.

jIjangpu', jIjatlh:
> I see what you've done to translate "shockwave", but to me {'evnagh mupbogh
> yu'egh'e'} sounds a little too much like "a wave which strikes subspace",
> especially with the overt {-'e'} in it. What do you think about {HoS
> yu'egh}?

mujang De'vID, jatlh:
> I thought a subspace shockwave *was* a wave that strikes subspace.

Ah, so you intended it that way. DaH jIyaj. But since the Excelsior was only
at impulse power at the time it doesn't make any sense for a wave that
specifically strikes subspace to have any major effect on it.

> I think {'evnagh HoS yu'egh} is a bit too ambiguous and generic.

You find "subspace shockwave" any better? :) Joking aside, to me it seems like
just Treknobabble for "big wibbly thing that's gonna do a whole lot of damage".
I don't think you need to be really specific here.

> Maybe {'evnagh yu'egh HoSghajqu'}?

I don't think {yu'egh HoSghajqu'} is any less generic than {HoS yu'egh}, but
it's fine; if you prefer it, go for it.

jIjatlhtaH:
> IIRC Praxis was rendered with Qay - {pIraQSIS} - in the paq'batlh.

mujang De'vID, jatlh:
> I'll have to double-check this.  However, it is rendered {pIraqSIS} in
> Monopoly.

luq. I just rechecked the paq'batlh and it is definitely {pIraQSIS} there (so
rendered twice, once on p.118 and once on p.119), but if {pIraqSIS} is in
Monopoly then that's no worries. (My copy has STILL not arrived yet.)

De'vID:
> SULU: *Valtane*, latlh De' ghaj'a'?

jIH:
> Since this isn't a direct order, I'm not sure if this should be clipped.

De'vID:
> I originally had a footnote on this, but removed it because I thought
> no one would notice if I didn't point it out.  :-)

ghIlab ghewmey vIbuSHa'laHbe' jIH. {{:P

> I wanted Sulu to switch from clipped to standard as the situation calmed
> down.

That makes sense and I'd have done the same thing. vIparHa'.

> However, I left *this* line clipped, because it's clipped in English.  He
> asks, "any more data?" and not "do you have any more data?"

Perhaps he should say just {latlh De'!}, or even just give a direct order
in the Klingon: {latlh De' nob} "give more data!".

> Thank you for your comments.  Keep them coming.

qay'be'qu'; qaboQlaHchugh jIbelchu'. Since this is one of my favourite Trek
films I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the rest.

QeS 'utlh