[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'epIl naHmey

Gaerfindel gaerfindel at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 4 13:10:01 PST 2012

ghItlhpu' SuStel:
That's troublesome too. {-chuq} means that "each other" is the implied
object. We don't have any kind of prefix trick for {yI-} or for {-chuq},
so we mustn't assume that the verb can take an object other than the
implied "each other."

Try {HIvje' tItam} "exchange cups!"

jangpu' Felix:
I'd personally accept HIvje'mey penobchuq (not yInobchuq) as "give one
another cups", but it is indeed not explicitly supported by canon.

jIjang:
What I'm really trying to express is, "Bring out the cups and pass them
around (so everyone has one [implied])."  {HIvje' tItam} serves as a
pithy, idiomatic way of conveying that, to my mind.

~quljIb