[Tlhingan-hol] Bad Klingon in Trek novels (and the like)

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sat Aug 4 12:16:44 PDT 2012

Just thought I'd share this little excerpt from "Star Trek: Cast No Shadow" with you all, to highlight the dangers of word-by-word translations:

Sent on all channels, wide-banded to every subspace receiver in the star system, the message was clear and concise. In flawless, unaccented Klingon, the words were picked up by every vessel. Many of those who heard them did not understand the import of the phrase; those who did—those who knew the truth of what was said—were granted enough time to become angry at the insult they bore.
"MaghwI' chuH ghobe' QIb," said the voice.

This has got to be my favorite example of bad Klingon; it's in a published work, and it actually makes a fuss about how the Klingon it presents is "flawless".

How about you? Got any gems to share with us?