[Tlhingan-hol] A vague example at last from Monopoly

lojmIt tI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 13:24:47 PDT 2012

The thing that bothers me about definitions like "Dominion" is that we're doing in Klingon the same thing we're doing in English. Likely, The Dominion doesn't call itself "The Dominion". It's a proper name we made up, based on a common noun that describes the thing we've named.

So, when we put in definitions like this, we really need to recognize that {ngup'a'} has two meanings. One is the proper noun and the other is the common noun. It's like {matlh}. It's the verb "be loyal" and it's the proper name Maltz.

... or maybe Klingon doesn't have a proper name for The Dominion. They are just one of many "major authorities" and when we translate to English, which DOES have a proper noun for this group, we translate it as "The Dominion".

Bleah.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv