[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Hun

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue May 3 07:32:05 PDT 2016

> Am 02.05.2016 um 21:32 schrieb DloraH:
> > nom is an adv, not a verb, so this can't be contructed as a usual
> > comparative.  We don't have a way to say:  n1 [fast] law n2 [fast] puS.
> > And while lengqu' does seem a little weird at first, he couldn't put the
> > -qu' on the adv could he?

Lieven:
> no, since {-qu'} is a verb suffix. We do have at least one other example
> where -qu' goes to the verb modifying the adverb, ST5: nom yIghoSqu'.

Other possible examples of {-qu'}} (emphatic) emphasizing what I think of as an ADVERBIAL-VERB unit:

  yIntaHbogh qagh jablu'DI' reH nIvqu' qagh
  Gagh is always best when served live. TKW

  pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'
  ... where we battle forever (Anthem)

Although usually translated "very" with qualities, {-qu'} is a very interesting suffix on action verbs and is well worth study.

  nom yIghoSqu'!
  Maximum speed. ST5

  tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  Hit them hard and hit them fast. TKW

*{nom tIqIpqu'} would probably mean something like "hit them as fast possible" (something a coach might say to a boxer).

Often the difference with {-chu'} (clearly, perfectly, properly, well, etc.) is subtle (at least for me).  E.g.

  yIHaDqu'
  Study him well! TKD

  Hay'chu' luneHqu' vaj pe'vIl joqqu' cha' tlhIngan tIqDu'
  Both Klingon hearts beat, at their strongest, in lust for blood. (PB)

> Okrand has said there is no (known) verb "to be fast", by the way.

But there are verbs for "hurry" {moD} and "accelerate" {chung}, not to mention the noun {Do} "velocity, speed".  For those who have forgotten, here's Marc Okrand discussing how to say "a fast ship":

(MO, qepHom 2012 [via De'vID 11/22/2012]):  Maltz was unaware of an adjective meaning "fast" (or "slow" for that matter). He said in Klingon you wouldn't say that something is fast - you'd say it moves fast. So instead of "You have a fast ship", you could say {nom leng DujlIj} "Your ship travels fast" or {nom leng Duj Daghajbogh} "The ship that you have travels fast". If "your fast ship" is supposed to be the subject or object of a sentence, you say something like {tInqu' nom lengbogh DujlIj} "Your ship that travels fast is very big" (or, less literally, "Your fast ship is very big") or nom {lengbogh DujlIj vIlegh} "I see your ship that travels fast" (or "I see your fast ship").

Other adverbials to play with include {QIt} "slowly", {tugh} "soon", {pay'} "suddenly" {SIbI'} "immediately".

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'