[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: SuH

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 00:42:32 PDT 2016

SuStel De'vID je, thank you for taking the time to reply.

jIH :
> mu' {SuH} DaQoyDI' bIvangmeH bIghuH'eghnIS 'e' DatlhojnIS yaS Qup.
young officer, you need to realize that when you hear the word {SuH}
you need to prepare yourself in order to act.
SuStel :
> I think {ghuH'egh} means "be alerted to yourself." Try {bIvangnISrup} "you
> need to be ready to act" or {yIvangrup} "be ready to act!"

your suggestions are -as always- very interesting ; the reason I chose
{ghuH}, is because according to TKD and Star Trek III {ghuH} is given
as "prepare for, be alerted to". So, I thought that {bIghuH'eghnIS}
could be used as well, in order to express the "you need to prepare
yourself for". However though, after reading your alternate
suggestions I too would prefer the {bIvangnISrup}.

SuStel :
> This sentence looks correct, but your sentences are generally getting more loquacious than I would expect

This puzzles me too ; Until some time -in the not so distant past-
whenever I came across the need to say anything, my mind instantly
became tied to a knot. A few days now, as if a switch had been flipped
in my head, that knot became untied, and whenever I want to say
anything all those alternate versions of it, just occur to me.

I don't know if this is good or bad, and if I wrote a passage, where I
would not provide the english translation as well, I would try to be
less loquacious (if I understand this word properly). However, for the
purpose of training, I think it is good to try and write a bit
loquaciously, in order to push oneself further for the purpose of
improvement. ..something similar to the "more sweat in training, less
blood in combat". Anyway, this isn't something which is happening on
purpose, so I don't think I could influence it somehow.

moving on, and after my careless prefix and suffix mistakes, I liked
your comment on the {HoDlI' jIHbogh} ; in fact I liked your proposed
way of expressing it {chIvo'lIj wIcherghqangbe' jIH--HoDlI'--beq
vInDa'lI' je} so much, that I will add this to my notes !

jIH :
> SoHvaD wa' neH 'eb vI'nob. bItoD'eghmeH wa' neH 'eb.. DujDaq pIqlIj
> Sum bopbogh 'eb. toH yIQub 'ej yIyep..
SuStel :
> I always hesitate before applying adverbial {neH} to a number. Yes, they
> act like nouns sometimes, but we've never seen such a thing in canon.

thanks for telling me this ; I didn't know.

jIH :
> SoHvaD wa' neH 'eb vI'nob. bItoD'eghmeH wa' neH 'eb.. DujDaq pIqlIj
Sum bopbogh 'eb. toH yIQub 'ej yIyep..
SuStel :
> {DujDaq pIqlIj Sum bopbogh 'eb} means "on the ship, opportunity which
> is all about your near future." I don't think that was what you were going for.
> Beware of trying to say "your future on this ship"; *{DujvamDaq pIqlIj} (assuming
> we can use {pIq} this way) is an illegal noun-noun construction.

oh yes. you're right on everything.. I just checked and verified that
{bop} means "be about, be concerned with" and not "concerns". and of
course we can't have a noun-noun construction where the first noun has
a type 5 suffix.

jIH :
> DujvamvaD tugh bIDub'egh pagh HIchDal HurDaq qapolHa'. wIvlIj 'oH
SuStel :
> {polHa'}? How about {vo'}?

this will sound silly bordering on stupid, but I wanted explicitly to
specify that "he would be thrown out of the airlock, into space".
while I was writing, momentarily, I thought that by using {-vo'}, one
could reason that he was thrown away from the airlock, but into the
ship. As soon as I pressed "send" and the mail was sent, I heard
myself telling me "how stupid can you be ? unless he lives outside of
the jay' airlock, how could someone throw him away from it, and into
the ship ?". What can I say ? The stupid part of myself frequently
takes over..

jIH :
> chIvo'lI' wIcherghqangbe' HoDlI' jIHbogh beq vInDa' je DaH 'e' Datlhojbej.
De'vID :
> Perhaps {'e' DatlhojnISqu'} is better.
> {'e' DatlhojnISbej} means something like "I'm certain you need to realise that".
> Is that the meaning intended?

I just saw it. I wanted to express the "you really need to realize
that.." and I wrote instead "you definitely need to realize that". I
should have used {-qu'} instead of {-bej} !

mayqel mIv Hurgh qunnoq
you have some stuffed to'baj leg in your teeth