[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: SuH

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Mar 29 09:51:43 PDT 2016

On 3/29/2016 11:55 AM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
> mu' {SuH} DaQoyDI' bIvangmeH bIghuH'eghnIS 'e' DatlhojnIS yaS Qup.
> young officer, you need to realize that when you hear the word {SuH}
> you need to prepare yourself in order to act.

I think {ghuH'egh} means "be alerted to yourself." Try {bIvangnISrup}
"you need to be ready to act" or {yIvangrup} "be ready to act!"

> bIbuDmo' bIvangqangbe'ba' 'e' vItu' Do'Ha' 'e' vIjunlaHbe'.
> unfortunately I'm unable to avoid noticing that because you're lazy
> you're obviously unwilling to take action.

This sentence looks correct, but your sentences are generally getting
more loquacious than I would expect. Are you really going to lose
anything if you just say {bIbuDmo' bIvangqangbe'ba'}?

> yaS Damoj 'e' qaSmoH 'aj ghaHbogh vavlI''e' yo'Daq 'e' Sovbej Hoch yaSpu'.
> at this fleet all officers know it well, that your father who is the
> admiral made it happen that you became an officer.

{luSovbej}

I don't think the officers know something "at/in a fleet." This isn't a
locative concept. {'e' luSovbej Hoch yo' yaSpu'} "all the fleet's
officers certainly know that."

> chIvo'lI' wIcherghqangbe' HoDlI' jIHbogh beq vInDa' je DaH 'e' Datlhojbej.
> now, you really need to realize that neither I who am your captain nor
> your fellow crewmen, are willing to tolerate your complete lack of
> honor.

Honor (or a lack thereof) does not use language, so it's {chIvo'lIj}.

I'm finding your phrases like "I who am your captain" to be difficult to
follow. Apposition, well punctuated, would be better:

{chIvo'lIj wIcherghqangbe' jIH--HoDlI'--beq vInDa'lI' je}

"You really need to realize that" is {'e' DatlhojnISbej}.

> SoHvaD wa' neH 'eb vI'nob. bItoD'eghmeH wa' neH 'eb.. DujDaq pIqlIj
> Sum bopbogh 'eb. toH yIQub 'ej yIyep..
> I will give you just a single opportunity. a single opportunity to
> save yourself.. an opportunity which concerns your near future on this
> ship. so think carefully..

I always hesitate before applying adverbial {neH} to a number. Yes, they
act like nouns sometimes, but we've never seen such a thing in canon.
You could say {wa' 'eb neH} "only one opportunity" without controversy.

{DujDaq pIqlIj Sum bopbogh 'eb} means "on the ship, opportunity which is
all about your near future." I don't think that was what you were going
for. Beware of trying to say "your future on this ship"; *{DujvamDaq
pIqlIj} (assuming we can use {pIq} this way) is an illegal noun-noun
construction.

> DujvamvaD tugh bIDub'egh pagh HIchDal HurDaq qapolHa'. wIvlIj 'oH..
> either soon you will improve yourself for the benefit of this ship, or
> I will throw you out of an airlock. the choice is yours..

{polHa'}? How about {vo'}?

http://www.trimboli.name/