[Tlhingan-hol] tlhoS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 18 06:40:29 PDT 2016

> From: SuStel [mailto:sustel at trimboli.name]
>
> On 3/18/2016 3:48 AM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
> > I've been considering the adverb {tlhoS}, and I've run into quite some
> > difficulty in understanding the way it is supposed to be used.
> >
> > The source of my confusion is in cases I want to express something
> > like {almost all the (subject)}.
>
> Adverbials modify verbs, not nouns. See Lieven's message for an
> explanation of {tlhoS}.

Although both are listed in the KGT glossary, I know of no examples by Okrand of {tlhoS}...

> Use {HochHom} for "almost all." Put it before the noun to talk about
> almost all of a quantity of nouns; put it after the noun to talk about
> almost all of a single noun.
>
>     HochHom chabmey
>     almost all of the pies
>
>     chab HochHom
>     almost all of the pie
>
>     jIghungbe'mo' chab HochHom vISoppu'be'
>     because I wasn't hungry, I didn't eat most of the pie
>
>     HochHom chabmey vISoppu'mo' jIropchoH
>     because I ate most of the pies, I became sick

and AFAIK only one example of {HochHom}:

... qItI'nga' Duj.  tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wej HochHom lo'lu'taH
[The] K'Tinga-class [ship] remained in use for most of the 23rd century. S15

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'