[Tlhingan-hol] tlhoS

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Fri Mar 18 09:16:53 PDT 2016

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 8:30 AM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
> Use {HochHom} for "almost all." Put it before the noun to talk about almost
> all of a quantity of nouns; put it after the noun to talk about almost all
> of a single noun.

Epistemology is a big word with a big meaning. In this case, it means
keeping in mind the source of information about Klingon grammar and
vocabulary. Here, the source is not quite Marc Okrand directly. One
must compare and contrast a few canonical examples -- only one of
which actually uses the word {HochHom} -- in order to arrive at a
consistent theory of use.

The prevailing theory is more than mere speculation, but not by much.
It's an interpretation based on very limited information. It's backed
up by compelling logic, and it's an interpretation shared by pretty
much everyone, but there isn't an "official rule" I can point to about
it. So while I agree with the advice about the meaning of {HochHom}
when placed before and after a noun, I wouldn't put it in the same
category as the fundamental OVS word order or the prefix agreement
rules.

-- ghunchu'wI'