[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: DIvI'

qov at kli.org qov at kli.org
Tue Mar 15 10:45:59 PDT 2016

chennISmoH. And please remember that a targ is not really a dog.

> peDoghQo' ! jatlh targh Sa' ; noH ghuHmeH DIvI'vetlh luchenmoHpu' vIghro'.
> don't be silly ! said the dog general ; the cats created that federation
in order
> to prepare for war.

Without the lu- prefix on ghuH it reads as "in order for the federation to
prepare for war" or "in order to prepare for wars". Neither of those is
incorrect, but the English implies in order that they prepare for war.

> poS HanDoghchajDaq DIvI'chaj Degh lulanta' vIghro'.
> the cats placed their federation's insignia at their left nacelles.

> DIvI'chaj Degh yIlegh ! targhvaD jatlhpu' vIghro' la'. reH lIghIjchoH
Deghvam !
> look at our federation insiginia ! said the cat commander for the dogs.
this
> symbol will make scared you forever !

-maj/-chaj  reH lIghIjchoH is interesting. Kind of appropriate for dogs.  I
get the idea of them being scared of it, turning around to sniff something,
and then getting scared of it all over again.

> toH ! tugh qaSpu' noH..
> so ! soon the war came.

Not sure you want perfective here, because you're going on to talk about
what happened in the war, not describing the war's occurrence as a completed
event.

> batlh ghobpu' vIghro' DIvI' 'ej batlhHa' ghobpu' targh.
> the cat federation fought honorably and the dogs fought dishonorably.

Do'Ha'!   no'chaj luquvHa'moH targh.

> qaStaHvIS jaj law', yavDaq pumtaH 'Iw.. qaStaHvIS jaj law' jul DoqchoHmoH
> 'Iw..
> for many days blood was falling on the ground.. for many days blood was
> making the sun become red..
>
> Hegh rIntaH yoHbogh vIghro' law' 'a tagha' Qappu' DIvI'chaj many brave
cats
> died, however eventually their federation won.
>
> vaj Hoch targhmeyvo' qo' Say'choHmoH vIghro' DIvI'..
> thus, the federation of the cats cleansed the world from all the dogs..

I'm not happy with this use of -vo'.  There's no motion away from the targs.
How about qo'vo' Hoch targhmey bI'ta' vIghro' DIvI'.

lutlIj vIparHa'qu' 'ej ghom Suvmo' ghom, moHaqmeymaj 'IH DamI'moH.

- Qov