[Tlhingan-hol] tlhIngan Hol SeH Paramount Pictures 'e' maq

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Mon Mar 14 13:46:57 PDT 2016

Indeed. Even months before the lawsuit, a CBS representative said that "CBS has not authorized, sanctioned or licensed this project in any way, and this has been communicated to those involved. We continue to object to professional commercial ventures trading off our property rights and are considering further options to protect these rights."

Then, in the original complaint in December, CBS/Paramount's representatives claim that "The Axanar Works are intended to be professional quality productions that, by Defendants’ own admission, unabashedly take Paramount’s and CBS’s intellectual property and aim to 'look and feel like a true Star Trek movie.'", and that they "incorporated numerous elements of Star Trek Copyrighted Works".
They also write that "The Axanar Works are substantially similar to, and unauthorized derivative works of, Plaintiffs' Star Trek television series and movies, in contravention of the copyright laws of the United States."

In their response pleading, Axanar Productions' representatives write that "while Plaintiffs allege ownership of 'thousands' of copyrights relating to Star Trek episode and films, Plaintiffs fail to specify which of those copyrights Defendants have allegedly infringed."

This new document is not the complaint in itself; it is simply detailing the elements of these productions which show that Axanar is derivative of and substantially similar to their copyrighted works.
The use of Klingon is just one of those examples, which the press have decided to put in the headline.

It's difficult to claim control over a language, and I doubt anybody would actually care enough to do so, unless we start making million-dollar Star Trek films.