[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: bo

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Mar 12 08:55:37 PST 2016

On 3/12/2016 11:14 AM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
> ghIchwIj luqotlhmo'pu' mIvlIj bo jIchuypu'.
> because your helmet's feathers tickled my nose I sneezed.

You got your suffixes in the wrong order: {luqotlhpu'mo'}.

> ravDaq pumpu'mo' bovetlh, QeHchoHpu' nov 'ej HoDma' qaDpu' ghaH.
> because that feather fell on the floor, the alien was angered and
> challenged our captain.

I wouldn't bother with {-pu'} on {QeHchoH}. {-choH} is itself a form of
aspect, though TKD doesn't call it that: it's the aspect of something
not happening and then happening.

I understand that you mean to apply the {-pu'} to the {-choH}, but
what's to stop me from interpreting it as applying to the {QeH}?

Best to simply say {QeHchoH nov} "the alien becomes angry." Being angry
isn't completed, even if the starting is completed.

> SaD bo Dabajchugh vaj qaSaw.
> if you earn a thousand feathers, I will marry you.

Though I have seen exceptions, you generally want to use a number before
a number-forming element. TKD even calls them "special number suffixes"
in the section listing all the Klingon affixes.

    wa'SaD bo Dabajchugh qaSaw

http://trimboli.name