[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ba'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Mar 10 11:13:35 PST 2016

On 3/10/2016 12:55 PM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
> quSvo' yIba' 'ej yIqeqchoH !
> get up from that chair and start training !

I don't think "sit from the chair" makes sense.

    quSvo' yIHu'
    get up from the chair!

Even the {quSvo'} would typically be redundant.

> HoD quSDaq bIba'meH bI'umbe'bej.
> you aren't qualified to sit at the captain't chair.

This runs into the ol' {QIpmeH Qatlh'a'} problem: you're not being
unqualified IN ORDER to sit in the captain's shair. I still don't know
if Okrand considers this a valid way to say it, or if he just makes the
same mistake from time to time. If it's valid he hasn't explained it yet.

You can work around the problem in many ways. Here's one:

    HoD quSDaq bIba' net chaw'be' bI'umbe'bejmo'
    you are not permitted to sit in the captain's chair because you are
    certainly not qualified

> qaStaHvIS jaj naQ ba'taHchugh vaj Huch Dabaj not 'e' Dachavbe'.
> if you're always sitting during the entire day, then you will never
> achieve to earn money.

I still say that {jaj naQ} means something like "unsubdivided day"; {jaj
Hoch} most likely means "all day."

You lost your verb prefix: {bIba'taHchugh}

Notice that the conditional clause means "if you sit throughout a whole
day," not "if you always sit during a whole day." The {-taH} indicates a
continuous action, not a regular or repeated action. You could use {reH}
without the {-taH} to indicate a regular, non-continuous occurrence, or
{reH} AND {-taH} to indicate a regular occurrence that is continuous
when it happens.

Klingon does not have negative-agreement; the negative adverbial {not}
does not have to be on a negative verb. What you've written is a
double-negative "never don't achieve (thus always achieve)." Just use
{not 'e' Dachav} "you will never achieve that."

I wouldn't bother getting so complex with this, however.

    qaStaHvIS jaj Hoch reH bIba'taHchugh, not Huch Dabaj.
    if you are always sitting during the day, you will never earn money

> bIba'taHmo' 'ej maHvaD bIvutQo', reH maghung.
> because you're constantly sitting and refuse to cook for us, we are
> always hungry.

Again, I think you need a {reH} on the because-clause, for the reasons I
gave above.

> DaH rInpu' may' 'ej may'vaD jughel 'e' DangIl'a'. Sa'HutlIjDaq
> bIba'be'chung vaj maHvaD bISuvpu', vaj juQaHpu'.
> now that the battle is over you dare ask us for it ? if you didn't sit
> on your ass, then you would have fought for us, then you would have
> helped us.

I'm not sure I understand this one.

http://trimboli.name