[Tlhingan-hol] Sex and Gender in Klingon

lojmIttI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 05:55:32 PST 2016

Keep in mind that in terms of language, sex and gender are not the same thing… except in English, where gender is completely defined by sexual identity. Nouns are masculine, feminine, or neuter depending on the nature of absence of sex organs. French, by contrast, has two genders. One has male sex organs, or none at all and the other has female sex organs or none at all. Most French masculine nouns are neuter in English, and most French feminine nouns are neuter in English. One of the most tedious chores for English-speaking people learning French as a second language is to memorize which neuter nouns are masculine and which neuter nouns are feminine.

German has masculine, feminine, or neuter, but these are not consistently applied according to sexual identity. “Girl” is neuter in German.

Some languages have one gender for newer words and a different one for older words, or one for native words and another for borrowed words. See Danish or Japanese. In most languages gender is not differentiated by sexual identity. This consistency between sexual identity and gender of nouns is one of the more unique characteristics of English.

Since a lot of English speakers don’t speak any other language, we ignorantly think all languages are like this.

Klingon essentially has three genders: body parts, beings capable of using language, and everything else. Gender is a classification of nouns that is reflected by affixes or helper words used with those nouns. There is no masculine or feminine gender in the Klingon language. There are only a small number of nouns that are explicitly for males and another small number of nouns that are specifically for females. {loD} and {be’} are nouns, not affixes, even when they are used in compound nouns.

Likely, Klingon culture has many features in terms of attitudes toward sexual identity that are similar to our own, and others that might be quite alien to us (being literally alien to us). Violence seems to be much more normal in their daily lives and courtship, though likely the human trend of male violence toward women is not reflected in Klingon culture, since Klingon women appear to be capable of dishing it out at least as much as they take it. You can be chopped in half by a female SuvwI’ as easily as you can by a male.

We have not yet seen a girly girl Klingon woman yet. No pink boas. No gold lamé. It’s not all that clear what fashion statement a trans Klingon would make in order to identify with the other sexual identity. Aside from cleavage, there’s really not that much difference between how a male or female Klingon dresses. In courtship, aside from who might typically start growling first, I don’t know that there’s all that much difference in sex roles…

… except that usually the men recite poetry while the women throw large, heavy objects at them, and the men prove their agility by ducking and dodging.

Face it. There’s a lot about Klingon sex identity that we do not understand, and research into this would likely be dangerous. There are things that outsiders can’t just step in and do without serious consequences.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv