[Tlhingan-hol] Sex and Gender in Klingon

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 22:10:34 PST 2016

I've wondered occasionally about the topic of Klingon LGBT terminology, on
the off chance it comes up with my LGBT friends who know I speak Klingon.
(To date, it has not.) I'm not convinced that Klingons don't care about
gender. For instance, a number of proverbs talk about sons and men
specifically, rather than using gender-neutral words, and remember that
{maqoch} and {chaj} are considered insults if addressed to the wrong
gender. If I recall the shows correctly, inheritance is mainly patrilinear,
and there's probably other examples from the movies and show that I'm
forgetting. Without explicit canon one way or the other, I figure it's a
reasonable assumption that Klingons are similar to modern-day society --
some of them would take it as a grave insult if their child transitioned,
whereas others would just think "who cares? son, daughter, either way they
can still hold a bat'leth."

So far the best term I've come up with for talking about transgender people
is something along the lines of {choHta'bogh be'} for a trans woman or
{choHta'bogh loD} for a trans man ("woman/man who has changed it"), with
the unstated object being the (currently unknown) word for "gender" (which
incidentally parallels with how the phrase "trans woman/man" doesn't
include the "-gender".) {choH'eghta'bogh be'/loD} ("woman/man who has
changed his/herself") and {choHta'wI'} ("person who has changed something")
might also work.