[Tlhingan-hol] Sex and Gender in Klingon

Ed Bailey bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 09:02:58 PST 2016

It would surprise me very much for Klingon to have language that handles
the intricacies of human sexual identity to the satisfaction of humans who
are interested in discussing it in Klingon. (I'd as much expect Klingon
words for caboose and typewriter.) If Klingons were discussing these
matters, I'd expect them to appropriate our words or force their own words
to fit, much like the situation for Terran fruits and vegetables. They'd
arrive at a Klingon understanding adequate for their own purposes, precise
but not necessarily accurate. I'd also expect them to focus on outward
behavior, rather than inward experience. ram meqmey.

And as lojmIt tI'wI' nuv pointed out, the intricacies of Klingon sexuality
are of necessity mostly unknown to us. We shouldn't expect them to be
another version of us in outer space, just as they are not merely a
stand-in for the Soviet Union/Mongol Horde, or merely outlaw bikers in
space.

--
mIp'av yergho
bu''a'