[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghu

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Mon Mar 7 10:19:32 PST 2016

X 'e' vItuch means "I forbid X" not "something forbids me from X".

The meaning "makes it not happen" as in "God forbid!" is kind of archaic, so
I think it's wise to restrict tuch to refer to instructions not to do
things.

God forbid my child should die. [archaic]   --> Hegh puqwI' 'e' qaSbe'moHjaj
Qun.
This din forbids us sleep. [archaic] --> maQong 'e' bot wabmeyvam. /
chuSqu'mo' maQonglaHbe'.
God forbids us to eat a targh. --> targh wISop 'e' tuch Qun.
Swimming is forbidden here. --> naDev Qallu' net tuch.