[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tey'be'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Mar 7 05:58:12 PST 2016

On 3/7/2016 6:05 AM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
> QISta':
>> megh vut tey'be'wI' 'e' nID 'ach SIjwI' SamlaHbe'.
>> My cousin tried to prepare lunch, but couldn't find a knife.
>
> As SuStel pointed out, whenever we use the word {tey'be'} we need to
> use further context as well, in order to specify as to the what kind
> of tey'be' we are referring to.

Weeeeeellllll, no, that's not quite right. Your translations were
distinguishing between cousin and niece where the Klingon was not. When
simply giving a single translation, just saying "cousin" is fine as a
simplification. The Klingon is not limited to "cousin," but QISta' is
not (apparently) trying to make that distinction.

> Other that that, I think that you should move the {tey'be'wI'} from
> it's current positition to place it after the {nID} :
>
> megh vut 'e' nID tey'be'wI' 'ach SIjwI' SamlaHbe'.

Not necessary. I actually prefer it the way QISta' did it: it gets the
subject out sooner, so you're not left hanging as to who's doing the action.

http://trimboli.name