[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tey'be'

qov at kli.org qov at kli.org
Mon Mar 7 09:49:34 PST 2016

You don't NEED to use further context to distinguish what kind of tey'be'
you are thinking of whenever you use the word, any more than you need to use
further context in English to distinguish whether every completed action was
deliberate or not, or what sort of honour you mean.  Indeed if you always do
distinguish, you're going to sound oddly foreign. You only need to use
further context if it is important to you that your listener know which sort
of tey'be' you mean.  "Female relative, a couple steps removed" may be
enough. In a large family you may have been babysat by your cousin and then
later babysit your own aunt.

A friend once pointed out a man crossing a parking lot as, "my father's
older brother."  I looked at the uncle and smiled to myself, and later asked
to confirm.  My fluently bilingual friend's native language has separate
words for father's younger brother, father's older brother, and mother's
sister's husband.  A monolingual English speaker would almost certainly have
pointed out someone seen briefly as simply "my uncle," but in my friend's
head these were different categories so she added the extra specificity.
I've found that Russians are slightly irritated that English speakers call
electric buses and buses with internal combustion engines both "bus" and
that we collapse all educational institutions to "school."  It's confusing
that we don't use separate words.

It's common for a language to have extended complex kinship terms, and to
draw different distinctions.  Why does a Klingon have the same word for an
aunt as a cousin?  Why do we have the same word for an older brother as a
younger one? It mattered culturally at the time the language developed.

- Qov