[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: joq

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Mar 1 08:20:30 PST 2016

On 3/1/2016 11:10 AM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
> be'nI'Daj qo' charghpu'DI' voDleH mIgh, be'nI'Daj vaS'a'Daq joqwI'Daj
> joqmoH ghaH.
> as soon as the evil emperor conquered his sister realm, he made his
> flag wave at his sister's great hall.

Presumably he finished causing this to happen; use {joqmoHpu'} or
{joqmoHta'}. I'd choose the latter for its sense of achieving a goal.

> targhmey DIjeychugh, jatlh vIghro'mey la' Dun, vaj targh lommey
> DungDaq joqwI'maj wIjoqmoH.
> if we defeat the dogs, said the brave cats' commander, we will make
> our flag wave over their corpses.

I think you meant {yoH} instead of {Dun}.

Are the cats brave, or is their commander brave? Your English doesn't
make that clear. If we substitute {yoH} for {Dun}, your Klingon says
it's the commander that's brave.

> QaSDaj yoHmoHmeH joqwI'chaj joqmoH vIghro'mey la'.
> in order to make his troops brave the cat commander made their flag flutter.

Again, I assume you're not saying it's his policy to make their flag
flutter, but rather that here is an incident in which he made their flag
flutter. I also assume he set the flag fluttering, rather than stood
there and waved it himself. Hence, the causing is completed; use
{joqmoHpu'} or {joqmoHta'}.

 > one day dogs will be extinct ; I dream of that day

qatlh dog DamuS?

http://trimboli.name