[Tlhingan-hol] Six, Six, Six (song translation)

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Jun 1 08:35:35 PDT 2016

On 6/1/2016 11:14 AM, Robyn Stewart wrote:

> For people who already read Klingon fluently, changing the
> transcription system makes it hard to recognize the word shapes,
> reducing reading to sounding out the words.  I skip messages on
> English boards that are written with text speak, all caps, no caps, or
> no punctuation. I do it because I assume that someone who can’t
> conform with the basic conventions of communication in my language
> probably doesn’t have anything to say that is worth the extra effort
> on my part.  I would likely do the same were there a Klingon writing
> system schism.

I am simply pointing out that this is a matter of inertia, not of
practicality. English, for instance, has had centuries to evolve its
letter-forms. When writers violate those well-established conventions,
they are violating superior form as well as the expectations of billions
of people. Klingon transcription letters were invented in, what, a day?
There is nothing inherently superior in them, and the people who have
acclimated themselves to them number in the mere dozens.I'd say English
convention is a bit more well-established than Klingon convention.

These days and on the Internet non-standard writing styles does not
necessarily indicate someone cannot conform to the "basic conventions of
communication in [your] language." Internet culture has invented new
forms. It is usually just as inappropriate to write with the level of
formality I'm using here on such sites as it is to say "ur wrong lol" in
a book. Communication evolves. Those who adopt new forms are not
necessarily not worth paying attention to.

Again, I'm not advocating for a change in the list's official use of
Okrand's transcription system, nor am I advocating that people blatantly
ignore the official policy. I'm simply pointing out that the policy has
its roots primarily in tradition, inertia, and, let's face it,
curmudgeonliness, rather than in anything inherently superior about the
system. I understand and appreciate the periodic calls for change,
without joining them.

http://trimboli.name