[Tlhingan-hol] Six, Six, Six (song translation)

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Jun 1 07:26:44 PDT 2016

On 6/1/2016 10:04 AM, Lieven wrote:
> Am 01.06.2016 um 15:17 schrieb SuStel:
>
>> transcription system. Aside from sheer inertia, it facilitates learning
>> the pronunciation of Klingon.
>
> jIQoch. why does it make prononciation easier? It's not more or less
> difficult to pronounce {H} than {x}.

It doesn't make pronunciation easier; it flags letters to alert a
beginner to an unusual sound. The *D* is capital to warn the speaker
that it's not an English /d./ Likewise the *H* and *S.* The *I* is
capitalized to indicate that it's a "short" /i,/ not an /ee/ or /aye/ sound.

Okrand created this transcription system precisely to give actors an
easier time trying to learn how to pronounce their Klingon lines.

>> On the third pseudopod, if you were to simply write your *I*'s in
>> lowercase, what would anybody do about it? Grumble? *pijHa' tlhingan Hol
>> Qin Daghitlh. Qatlh bibep?*
>
> I'm not complaing for myself, but in my old memory rule as a BG,
> trying to teach newbies on the list. One of the main messages to
> beginners has always been "write the damn capital I, it's important"
> (See FAQ 2.9). That's the only reason I mention it.

The thing is, it's /not/ important. It's just the way it's done. This is
why both beginners and some old hands question the transcription system.
It's not /actually/ necessary.

http://trimboli.name