[Tlhingan-hol] Six, Six, Six (song translation)

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Wed Jun 1 07:04:09 PDT 2016

Am 01.06.2016 um 15:17 schrieb SuStel:
> I didn't even notice what you did there until the last instance.

hehe... My point was that in English you have the capital I meaning "me"
and every english teacher will mark it wrong being lower case, and it
also looks very unusual - same case with klingon

> On the one hand, the case against normalizing Klingon transcription
> spelling is overblown. It's not /that/ strange—certainly not stranger

the only reason why I don't like the okrandian writing system is because
many people regard it being non-serious and make fun of Klingon only
because it looks so strange. They would not if it were written in a
"normal" way (i.e. all lower case).

(It's also annoying that we cannot really make UPPER CASE words.)

> 'ej ghitlhmeh patvam 'ih law' /Okrand /ghitlhmeh pat 'ih pus./

bilugh. Deghmey mach vighitlhtahvis vaj 'ihchoh mu'tlhegh.

> transcription system. Aside from sheer inertia, it facilitates learning
> the pronunciation of Klingon.

jIQoch. why does it make prononciation easier? It's not more or less
difficult to pronounce {H} than {x}.

> On the third pseudopod, if you were to simply write your *I*'s in
> lowercase, what would anybody do about it? Grumble? *pijHa' tlhingan Hol
> Qin Daghitlh. Qatlh bibep?*

I'm not complaing for myself, but in my old memory rule as a BG, trying
to teach newbies on the list. One of the main messages to beginners has
always been "write the damn capital I, it's important" (See FAQ 2.9).
That's the only reason I mention it. I have no problem to understand
Klingon even with lots of mistakes in a phrase, even if one asks {Qatlh
bIbep} with upper case Q.  ;-)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh