[Tlhingan-hol] Six, Six, Six (song translation)

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Jun 1 06:17:27 PDT 2016

On 6/1/2016 2:45 AM, Lieven wrote:
> Am 01.06.2016 um 06:40 schrieb Anthony Appleyard:
>> Please, yet again, please let us stretch the rules and type the
>> letter eye as lowercase with a dot.
>
> i think that i would not like that. i think it looks very strange, or
> am i wrong? ;-)

I didn't even notice what you did there until the last instance.

On the one hand, the case against normalizing Klingon transcription
spelling is overblown. It's not /that/ strange—certainly not stranger
than what beginners experience with all the capital letters in the
middle of words seemingly at random. If we substitute /k/ for *q,* the
result isn't really all that hard to read. /Qatlhbe'ba' mu'tlheghvam
ladmeh qu'. Bo'dagh'a' lo'bej kelbe'wi'pu'. Bikekchugh tugh ngedchoh
ladmeh qu'. 'ej ghitlhmeh patvam 'ih law' /Okrand /ghitlhmeh pat 'ih pus./

On the other hand, I'm not actually advocating making any kind of
official list change. Of course we'll continue to use Okrand's
transcription system. Aside from sheer inertia, it facilitates learning
the pronunciation of Klingon.

On the third pseudopod, if you were to simply write your *I*'s in
lowercase, what would anybody do about it? Grumble? *pijHa' tlhingan Hol
Qin Daghitlh. Qatlh bibep?*

http://trimboli.name