[Tlhingan-hol] ghIQlI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 25 12:03:23 PST 2016

cpt qunnoQ:
>>> jIQub : nuq nIDtaH ghunchu'wI' ? SuStel QeHmoHmeH nIDtaH'a'
>>>   ghunchu'wI' ?
>>> I thought : what is ghunchu'wI' trying to do ? is he trying
>>>   to make SuStel angry ?

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh:
> 1. {nID} is a verb that is more commonly used with {‘e’} as the direct
> object in a Sentence As Object construction rather than with a {-meH}
> purpose clause. I can see how you would think that someone attempting
> something has that action as their purpose, but it’s a bit more direct to
> say that you try to X, rather than you try with the purpose of X. You try
> to make someone angry. You don’t try in order that you make someone angry.
> It’s just a slightly more awkward construction with {-meH}. It works
> better with other verbs.

Some examples:

DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS be'nI'pu'
 lurSa' be'etor je.
The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor, are constantly
 seeking a higher standing for the House of Duras within the Klingon
 High Council. S26

DIvI' rojmab qep ghanglu' 'e' nIDlu', 'ach taH qep.
Despite efforts to halt them, peace talks with Federation continue. MKE

qeylIS Qaw' 'e' nIDmeH yerDaj weH molor 'ej juH qachDaj meQmoH
Molor did not destroy Kahless by burning his house or ravaging his lands PB

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons