[Tlhingan-hol] ghIQlI'

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 11:34:48 PST 2016

Likely you have been somewhat impatient, and thus you have moments of carelessness. But you are not stupid. I can assure you that few stupid people acquire any skill at speaking Klingon.

And SuStel, who reads this forum, deserves more respect than this. I have been disrespectful to him in the past, and will not participate in piling on here. I regret my past insensitivities and hope I do better in the future. My moods are too often my master.

But, I’d like to help with some issues with your statements, so here are some things to think about:

1. {nID} is a verb that is more commonly used with {‘e’} as the direct object in a Sentence As Object construction rather than with a {-meH} purpose clause. I can see how you would think that someone attempting something has that action as their purpose, but it’s a bit more direct to say that you try to X, rather than you try with the purpose of X. You try to make someone angry. You don’t try in order that you make someone angry. It’s just a slightly more awkward construction with {-meH}. It works better with other verbs.

2. I would have said Xlaw’ pagh Ylaw’ and not bothered with making a question at all. You are making an observation and you think that it looks like either X is true or Y is true. Are you really expecting someone to answer you? If not, then don’t ask a question.

3. Consider the difference between {HoH} and {Hegh}. In a Klingon mind, someone dying is boring. Someone killing someone is interesting. So, I’d tend to think of boring someone to death as {HeghmeH qetlh} rather than {HoHmeH qetlh}.

You are skilled with the language. I’m just trying to help polish a few points here and there.

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably