[Tlhingan-hol] Why Klingon is perfect

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jan 22 10:28:22 PST 2016

Qov :
>> There is one use of {-meH} that isn't
>> completely covered in TKD.  As well as marking an entire clause that
>> precedes the main clause and states the purpose of the main clause, a
>> verb with {-meH} can mark just a noun, and give the purpose of that
>> noun.

Cpt qunnoq:
> vIparHa' ! vIparHa'qu' !
> I like this ! I like this a lot !
>
> yabwIjDaq {-'e'} mollu'DI' wIja'chuqnISbej..
> as soon as the {-'e'} sinks in my mind, we definitely need to discuss
> this..[]

Until then, here are some known examples - a few used in sentences - of what some call "{-meH}ed nouns" to ponder...

QongmeH Duj
sleeper ship

  tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bong QongmeH qItI'nga' Duj tI'ang ghompu' DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'
  A sleeper ship of this [K'Tinga] class, the T'Ong, was encountered in the 24th century by the USS Enterprise. S15

ngongmeH Duj
[experimental ship, prototype vessel] S33

  ngongmeH wa' DujDaq nuHmey nISbe'bogh So'wI' jomlu'pu'
  [A cloaking device which didn't disrupt weaponry was installed in one experimental ship. (untr.)] S33

qa'meH vIttlhegh replacement proverb

HQ 5.1:  This is the only way to say "replacement proverb" currently, but in the past, the common term was the lengthier {quvqa'meH vIttlhegh}, literally, "proverb for (the purpose of) being honored again". The word {qa'meH}, clearly a shortened form of {quvqa'meH}, was originally used only in the construction of {qa'meH vIttlhegh}, but, though historically two verb suffixes, it has become accepted as a noun in its own right, meaning replacement in the sense of something that takes over for or is used instead of something that is gone or that has been lost.

chenmoHlu'meH Daq
construction site KBoP

  tlhIngan juHqo'Daq tlhIng yoSDaq 'oH toQDuj chenmoHlu'meH Daq wa'DIch'e'
  1st Construction Site: The Kling District, Klingon Home World. KBoP

Qapchu'meH 'aqroS chuq
Maximum Effective Range KBOP

jIpaSqu'mo' narghpu' qaSuchmeH 'eb
I was too late to visit you. (st.k 1/98)

nom yer mechmeH Quj
"game for fast trading of property" (untr.)] MKE

polmeH jav QujwI' lIwmey
6 collectible tokens (MKE)

bachlu'meH chuqna'
effective range S14

HoS QaymeH 'och
power transfer conduit KBoP

SopmeH pa'
dining room, eating room

HoS QaymeH 'och
power transfer conduit KBOP

Soj polmeH pa'
food storage KBOP

pe'meH taj
cutting knife KGT

DevmeH paq
guide, guidebook TKW

vutmeH 'un
flat-bottomed pot for food preparation KGT

'elmeH chaw'mey je'lu'ta'bogh
will-call tickets (WSC)

HIjmeH chaw'
stamp TNK