[Tlhingan-hol] Why Klingon is perfect

qov at kli.org qov at kli.org
Thu Jan 21 11:35:16 PST 2016

> ok, lets take things slowly..
>
> first the last sentences :
>
> bInep = you are lying
> bIpegh neH = you're only keeping something secret

maj.

> Daq pegh luDabbogh nIrurbogh tlhIngan Hol ghojqangwI'pu' yI'ang!
> you reveal the ones who are willing to learn Klingon who resemble you, who
> (they) reside at a secret location (!?!?)

There are two nested {-bogh} clauses so you need to do a bit of unravelling.
Notice that the main verb 'ang has the prefix yI-. this means that the
sentence is a command, not a statement, and that the object of the verb is
singular. (Were it plural I would say tI'ang). There are actually only two
possible objects in the sentence: {Daq} and {tlhIngan Hol ghojqangwI'pu'}.
the latter cannot be singular, so the object must be Daq.

The command is "Reveal the secret place where the ones like you who are
willing to learn Klingon reside!" Probably not a sentence I would say
spontaneously in speech, but I wrote it forward in one pass.

> ghojmeH taj Hev loDHom.
> in order to learn the boy received the knife

Your translation is correct. I didn't write the sentence in a way that would
check what I wanted to check. There is one use of {-meH} that isn't
completely covered in TKD.  As well as marking an entire clause that
precedes the main clause and states the purpose of the main clause, a verb
with {-meH} can mark just a noun, and give the purpose of that noun.

jejbe' ghojmeH taj. = A training knife is not sharp.
lom burghDaq HoHmeH vIychorgh tu' Qel. = The doctor found a killing juice in
the corpse's stomach.

> pIpol.
> we keep/save you.

We will indeed keep you.

> chay' tlhIngan Hol Datu'?
> how do you discover/find/observe/notice Klingon?

I'm quite curious about this. chay' Hol Datu' 'ej chay' jutu'?

> qatlh DaghojchoH?
> why do you learn it ?

Why did you take it up, start learning it.  I know you keep learning it
because you now know it's awesome.

> lI'qa'laHchugh
> if it is able to be useful again

yes, and the next part is the subject of that sentence

> pISuqmeH
> in order to get you
in order for us to get you

> mIw
> the procedure

Togther pISuqmeH mIw = <the "in order for us to get you" procedure> = "the
way we acquired you"

>, vaj
> wa' SaDlogh wIlo' vIneH.
> then I
> want that we use it a thousand times.

"If the way we acquired you can be useful again, then I want that we use it
a thousand times."

> actually this last sentence is the one I meant, when I wrote that I didn't
> understand anything..
>
> maybe its because of this jay' sleepiness. I really need to get to bed
now.

It was a hard sentence. I don't write beginner sentences to talk to you
anymore. I just write. I know that you will either understand them, or learn
how. qa'lIj vIvoq.

DaqlIj peghDaq nItlhej nIrurbogh nuv 'e' vIHon, 'a 'elaDya'Daq chen qo' naQ
SIghtaHbogh tayqeq Dun, vaj chemerlaHbej.

- Qov