[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: {-'e'} and {-bogh}

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 01:38:20 PST 2016

> I know it's KLBC, but I'm reading this as you want to see lots of sentences,
> from all of us right?

yes, indeed !

> It's not clear from your question whether your issue is with how to
> correctly place -'e', how to interpret it,

both ! I can't understand how to correctly place it, and neither how
to interpret it. Anyway, thank you very much, for taking the time to
write all those examples.

lets see now, if I understand these sentences :

> lo'laHbe' HIch bachbogh mang'e'.

I see here the {-'e'} attached to {mang}, so I guess that the head
noun (the noun to which everything refers) is {mang}. So the sentence
must mean <the soldier who fired the gun is useless>. So, here the
{-'e'} has the purpose of clarifying that it is the soldier who is
useless and not the gun.

> lo'laHbe' HIch'e' bachbogh mang.

contrary to the example above, here, it is the gun which is useless.
So the translation would be <the gun which the soldier fired is
useless>

> chalDaq Qob nIn Hutlhbogh muD Duj.

I would translate this as <an airplane which lacks fuel is dangerous
at the sky> or maybe <the sky (where there is) an airplane without
fuel is dangerous>. So, if I understand now the application of {-'e'}
correctly, I could place the {-'e'}, depending on the intented
translation, this way :

an airplane which lacks fuel is dangerous at the sky.
chalDaq Qob nIn Hutlhbogh muD Duj'e'.

the sky (where there is) an airplane without fuel is dangerous
chalDaq'e' Qob nIn Hutlhbogh muD Duj

moving on..

> DaHjaj vengmajDaq 'oHtaH muD Duj QIHta'bogh SorghwI'.  => -'e' possible, but
> completely unnecessary.

I understand this sentence, and the reason why the {-'e} is
unnecessary ; however shouldn't instead of {'oHtaH} the {ghaHtaH} be
used ? It is the SorghwI' who is today at our city, and the SorghwI'
can either be a <he> or a <she>.

> Duj'e' maSbogh Sa' nejlI' nawlogh.

this must be <the squadron searches for the vessel which the general
prefers>. I believe if we wanted to say <the squadron searches for the
general who prefers the vessel> the sentence would be {Duj maSbogh
Sa''e' nejlI' nawlogh}

(by now, my mind has been tied to a knot, but I love this !)

> Duj'e' maSbogh Sa' nejlI' nawlogh'e' ra'bogh Sa'.

this must be <the squadron which the general commands, searches for
the vessel which the general prefers>

> Duj lunejlI' qoq le' luchenmoHbogh wa'maH wa' rewbe'.  => -'e' can be used
> on only one of rewbe' and qoq. Which?

I believe the translation must be <eleven citizens who created the
exceptional robot, search for the ship>, so the {-'e'} (I think) must
be placed on {rewbe'}. It is the citizens who are able to create the
robot. The robot can't create living citizens. After all we have the
verb prefix {lu-} on the {nej}.

> Duj nejlI' qoq le' luchenmoHbogh wa'maH wa' rewbe'. => -'e' can be used on
> only one of rewbe' and qoq. Which?

the {nej} has the zero prefix, so this must translate as <the
exceptional robot which was created by eleven citizens searches for
the ship>. I would say that the {-'e'} should go on the {qoq}.. but
since the {qoq} is followed by a verb, and the {-'e'} is a type 5 noun
suffix, I think that it should go on the {le'}.

>Duj nejlI' qoq le' chenmoHbogh wa'maH wa' rewbe'. => -'e' can be used on
> either rewbe' or qoq, with different meanings.

ok, I see here zero prefixes on both verbs so if the {-'e'} goes on
{rewbe'} this would mean : <the eleven citizens who were created by
the robot search for the ship>.

if the {-'e'} goes on the {qoq} (that is the {le'}) the translation
would be <the exceptional robot which created the eleven citizens,
searches for the ship>.

ok, I will stop now (because this reply is getting really long).
please tell me your comments/observations on my answers so far, and
then I will move on to the rest of your sentences.

thank you very much, for taking the time to reply. I think that things
are getting clearer !

cpt qunnoq