[Tlhingan-hol] vulqa'nganpu'

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 07:03:59 PST 2016

I know I come across as stubborn. Trust that I’m being honest about what I believe that I understand. I don’t enjoy arguing all that much.

A compound sentence is not two sentences. It was a pair of sentences before the conjunction was added, but please recognize that we call it *A* compound sentence. We don’t call it a PAIR of sentences, compounded. When you add a Type 9 suffix to a verb for a clause that would have been a complete sentence before the suffix was added, that clause stops being a sentence and becomes a dependent clause. When you add a conjunction, the two sentences similarly stop being separate sentences and become one. That’s the purpose of conjunctions. If we didn’t want that end effect, we would not have conjunctions. It’s just what they do.

As to the Vixis quote below, Vixis is essentially finishing a sentence begun by the captain when he set the course. This is similar to the way that {‘e’} is sometimes used to refer to something that someone else has said. People do, in conversation, sometimes finish each other’s sentences.

As to {qama’pu’ DIHoH ‘ej ‘e’ luSov}, it is simply unlike anything described in TKD or shown in any canon before this newest canon (paq-whatever) which, since it is arranged in stanzas, is arguably an example of poetry, which Okrand has explicitly warned us doesn’t always follow the rules of grammar. See {tlhonmey}.

I’ll address that in the other message that specifically addresses that.

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably