[Tlhingan-hol] vulqa'nganpu'

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 04:31:27 PST 2016

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv:
> A compound sentence is not two sentences.

This is what TKD says about compound sentences:
<Two sentences may be joined together to form a longer compound
sentence. Both sentences must be able to stand alone as properly
formed sentences. When combined, they simply come one after the other,
joined by a conjunction (see section 5.3).>

It also says that it's possible to use pronouns in the second sentence
to refer to nouns in the first sentence:
<It is possible, however, to use pronouns rather than nouns in the
second of the joined sentences.>

It does not explicitly say that you can use {'e'} as the object of the
second sentence to refer back to the first sentence, but it doesn't
say you can't either, and given that you can use pronouns in the
second sentence, I don't see why not.

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv:
> As to {qama’pu’ DIHoH ‘ej ‘e’ luSov}, it is simply unlike anything described in TKD or shown in any canon before this newest canon (paq-whatever)

TKD describes individual parts of grammar isolated from other parts
for clarity and simplicity. It doesn't describe how every pair of such
parts work together. Many such pairs don't appear in TKD, and yet we
accept them.

In section 6.2.1, we're told that we can put sentence conjunctions
between two sentences. In section 6.2.5, we're told that one sentence
can be the object of another. That's it. There's nothing about how
you're not allowed to use {'e'} in the second sentence to refer back
to the first.

Your objection to putting these two rules together seems to be that
the resulting construction isn't "pretty". But that's entirely
subjective. I find the construction aesthetically neutral. It's no
more or less pretty than the analogous English construction: "we kill
prisoners, and they know it."

But, okay, let's say that using {'e'} in the second sentence to refer
to the first in a conjunction is disallowed. How would you express the
following, in Klingon?
"We kill prisoners, and they know it."
"We kill prisoners, but they don't know it."
"Either we kill prisoners, or they believe we do."
"We kill prisoners and/or they believe we do."

I can think of two ways to express each of the above, with and without
your restriction. I don't know if I'd call one of them "prettier", but
it's certainly more compact.