[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghum

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 29 06:13:44 PST 2016

I’ve seen *{puSwI'} used on the List for “sniper, marksman, sharpshooter” – derived from {puS) “sight (with a gunsight):

  tlha'a HoD, DoS wIpuStaH
  Captain Klaa, we have a target in sight. ST5

We also have the verb {Qeq} “aim (a weapon), target”:

  'otlh peng Qeqchu'
  He aims the photon torpedo perfectly. PK

yIQeqQo' neH. DoS yIqIp
  Don't just aim; hit the target! TKW

'oy'naQ DaQeqDI' mIw wa'DIch Data', 'ach 'oy'naQ Dachu'DI'
    mIw paghDIch Data'
  When you aim the painstik, you accomplish the first step, but
 when you turn the painstik on, you accomplish the zeroth step. KGT

 'ay'vamDaq nuHmey tIQeq
  Target weapons on this location. (ENT "Affliction")

and the noun {vI'} "sharpshooting, marksmanship, aim":

 vaj toDuj Daj ngeHbej DI vI'
  Shooting space garbage is no test of a warrior's mettle.
 ["Sharpshooting of the cosmos' litter inconclusively tests
    a warrior's courage.”] ST5/TKW

 SuvwI' vI' Dub naQvam 'ej ray' HopDaq bachlu'meH chuqna'
   ghurmoH naQvam
  This [i.e. (rifle) stock] serves to steady the aim of a warrior
   and increase the effective range for distance targeting. S14