[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghum

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Mon Feb 29 08:21:37 PST 2016

I might say vI' po'wI' or vI' HoHwI' or chuq'a' vI' HoHwI', depending on what I meant. When trying to translate a word from another language I have to stop and think of all the concepts the word embodies in that language and then decide which ones I want in this particular Klingon sentence.

sniper ... I think of long-range killing with a rifle, lying in wait, concealment, accuracy ... which is important for my sentence?

No one Klingon word is going oh evoke the ghillie-suited individual lying on his belly with a rifle, just below the ridgeline that the word sniper brings up for you. Or maybe your stereotype of a sniper is on a rooftop in a ruined city?  Set the scene however you need to and then you don't need a specific word.

tawmeyDaq lultaHvIS QaS, chaH Dungvo' HoH wa' mang tuv.  pIghDaq reD yorDaq QottaH, beH 'uchtaHvIS, 'ej chu'wI' ngaHDI' pum jagh. pup vI'Daj. not neghma' QIH.