[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghum

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Feb 25 12:22:37 PST 2016

On 2/25/2016 12:15 PM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
> Dujchaj wIQaw' ghumchaj wItammoH.
> in order to destroy their ship we made their alarm silent.

You dropped the {-meH}. You also want a {-pu'} or {-ta'} on the last word.

> ghummaj wIjommeH vumvetlh verenganvaD Huch law' wInob.
> in order to install our alarm we gave a lot of money to that bastard ferengi.

Use {vum verenganvetlhvaD} if you want "that Ferengi who is a bastard"
(a noun-noun construction in which {vum} tells us what kind of
{verenganvetlh} we're dealing with) or {vumvetlhvaD verenganvaD} for
"for that bastard, the Ferengi" to put the nouns in apposition (in which
case they need to be of the same type).

Did you install the alarm or did the Ferengi install it? If the Ferengi:

    ghummaj jomlu'meH
    in order that our alarm be installed

    ghummaj jommeH
    in order that he [the Ferengi] install our alarm

http://trimboli.name