[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghum

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 02:00:29 PST 2016

jiH:
> ghummaj wIjommeH vumvetlh verenganvaD Huch law' wInob.
> in order to install our alarm we gave a lot of money to that bastard ferengi.

SuStel:
> Use {vum verenganvetlhvaD} if you want "that Ferengi who is a bastard"
> (a noun-noun construction in which {vum} tells us what kind of {verenganvetlh}
> we're dealing with) or {vumvetlhvaD verenganvaD} for "for that bastard, the
> Ferengi" to put the nouns in apposition (in which case they need to be of the same type).

Thank you for taking the time to reply ; I realize now, that there are
a lot more things I still don't understand in noun-noun constructions.

Please read on, and tell me your thoughts..

1. I realize now, that the correct way to say <that Ferengi who is a
bastard> is {vum verenganvetlhvaD}. Just out of curiosity though..
Could you please write, to what actually translates the phrase that I
wrote <vumvetlh verenganvaD> ? After reading your comments indeed I
*feel* it to be wrong, but I can't quite understand to what it
translates. Perhaps <for the ferengi, that bastard> ?

2. I noticed that one of the proposed correct options, is the
{vumvetlhvaD verenganvaD}. The first and most striking thing I observe
is that we have the {-vaD} used twice i.e. in each one of the
noun-noun pair. So far I believed that in noun-noun pairs we can't
have the same suffix used simultaneously in each one of these nouns. I
don't know how I ever got that misconception, but I'm happy now that
this misconception has been lifted. However I need to ask :

a. could you please explain what  <to put the nouns in apposition> means ?
b. could you please also explain what <in which case they need to be
of the same type> means ?

thanks

mIv Hurgh qunnoq
the sith rely on their passion for their strength