[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: Beginner's One-Sentence Story Game

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Feb 19 19:01:18 PST 2016

On 2/19/2016 9:50 PM, qov at kli.org wrote:
>> -vaD does mean "for the benefit of." But with verbs of speaking it
>> is simply used to mark the one being talked to. (I.e., it marks the
>> indirect object.)
>
> Also, "the beneficiary" of an action does not necessarily benefit
> from that action. It just affects them in a way other than it affects
> the direct object.

Yup. As TKD says, {-vaD} indicates "the person or thing for whom or for
which the activity occurs." "Activity," of course, can also be read as
"state" or "quality," since those kinds of verbs can also work with {-vaD}.

If I say something TO someone, that someone is the person for whom the
activity occurs. Hence {-vaD}.

http://trimboli.name