[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: Beginner's One-Sentence Story Game

qov at kli.org qov at kli.org
Fri Feb 19 18:50:56 PST 2016

>-vaD does mean "for the benefit of." But with verbs of speaking it is simply used to mark the one being talked to. (I.e., it marks the indirect object.)

Also, "the beneficiary" of an action does not necessarily benefit from that action. It just affects them in a way other than it affects the direct object.

ngemvaD Qobqu' qul. = Fire is very dangerous to the forest.
ropvaD Hergh tlhutlh SID. = The patient drinks medicine for the sickness.
lotlhwI'pu'vaD bIj wIv HI'. = The dictator selects a punishment for the rebels.
qama'vaD jach 'avwI'. = The guard screams at the prisoner.

- Qov