[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: {-mo'} noun suffix vs. {-mo'} verb suffix

qov at kli.org qov at kli.org
Wed Feb 17 12:01:20 PST 2016

> Ha'DIbaHlIjmo' jIvem.
> because of your dog I woke up.

maj.

> QIpmo' Ha'DIbaHlIj, jIvem or jIvem, QIpmo' Ha'DIbaHlIj.
> because your dog is stupid, I woke up.

maj.

> vavlI'mo' bImIp.
> because of your father you're rich.

maj.

> vavlI' mIpmo', bInguq or bInguq, vavlI' mIpmo'.
> because of your rich father you're arrogant.

muj cha'DIch. Because {vavlI' mIp} is a noun phrase "your rich father" it
can only precede the clause it modifies. Yes, -mo' is on a erb, but it's
only on a verb because it has followed the rule and migrated to the verb
that modifies vavlI'.

vavlI' mIpmo' bInguq.
or
bInguq mIpmo' vavlI'. = You are arrogant because your father is rich.
See the difference?

> puH DujlIjmo' jIrIQ.
> because of your car I'm injured.
>
> muqIpmo' puH DujlIj, jIrIQ or jIrIQ, muqIpmo' puH DujlIj.
> because your car hit me I am injured.

maj.

> If at the above sentences there are mistakes, please do tell me. Also, the
> way I understand this a noun bearing a -mo' must always come on the
> beginning of a sentence, whereas a verb with a -mo' can be placed either
at
> the beginning or the end. If I understand this wrong, please correct me.

Your understanding is correct, with the little adjustment above, for when
the verb is acting as an adjective.  Also lojmIt tIwI' nuv personally
prefers that verb clauses with -mo' also go before the main clause. There's
no rule at all, he just likes it that way, so when I'm writing to make him
happy, I do that.  :-)

- Qov