[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: {-mo'} noun suffix vs. {-mo'} verb suffix

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 17 06:29:03 PST 2016

cpt qunnoq:
> Whenever I have come across the need to express <because of>, I always end
> up using the {-mo'} verb suffix. So, the stupid question of the day is :
>
> When do I actually need to use the {-mo'} noun suffix ? Could the BG, or
> anyone else write some examples where the {-mo'} noun suffix is used ? I
> just can't find a way to use the {-mo'} noun suffix !

Okrand rarely uses the Type 5 noun suffix {-mo'}.  In fact, I could only find three examples in my notes:

SuSmo' joqtaH
It is fluttering in the breeze.
"Due to the breeze, it [a flag] is fluttering." TKD

QaghHommeyHeylIjmo'
due to your apparent minor errors  TKD

HeSmo'
due to the crime KGT

On the other hand, the Type 5 verb suffix {-mo'} with the same meaning is much more common:

bIqanmo'
because you are old. TKD

Heghpu'mo' yaS
because the officer died. TKD

HoS law'qu' natlhmo' So'wI'
Due to the tremendous energy drain of a cloaking device... S33

laS veghaS HIltonDaq <Hov leng: yIjeSchu'> qaSchoHmo', bIlopqu'meH HIlton yIghoS
Come celebrate the grand opening of Star Trek: The Experience at the Las Vegas Hilton. STX

jIpaSqu'mo' narghpu' qaSuchmeH 'eb
Because I'm very late, the opportunity to visit you has escaped.
(i.e. "I was too late to visit you.") (st.k 1/98)

tlhIngan Hol Danummo' pIquvmoH
Because you promote the Klingon language, we honor you. FMC

tlhIngan Hol yejHaD Datoy'mo' pInaD
Because you serve the Klingon Language Institute, we commend you. FMC

tujqu'choHmo' QeHchaj nagh tetlaH tujvam
Their anger so hot, it could melt the rock (PB 76-77)

chaq tugh batlh Heghmo' 'ej chaq tugh charghmo'
For they may soon die with honor! For they may soon be victorious! (PB 121)

jIDoghqu' vIghIjlu'mo' 'ej bortaS vIneHmo' jIleghlaHbe' 'ach chovuvtaH
What a fool I have been, blinded by fear and spite, and still you find me worthy. PB

le'yo'raj nIHlu'ta'mo' penoD jatlh qeylIS
And Kahless spoke to them... about avenging their stolen pride PB

jorwI'mey ghaymo' qarDaSnganpu', Hegh SuvwI'pu'lI' law' 'ej rIQ SuvwI'pu'lI' law'
Suffer major losses after Cardassian bombing campaign. MKE

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'