[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nID

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 00:40:01 PST 2016

jIH :
> muQuchqu'mo'
Qov :
> should have been {muQuchmoHmo'} "because it makes me happy"

True.

jIH :
> 'ej QInHommey Quch vIghItlh.
Qov :
> So translate this as "I will write happy notes." (presuming that "note" is the
> diminutive of message.  I'm not really sure why qunnoq considers his message
> to be less than a message).

Because I'm fed up of this internet trash-for-a-terminology ; threads,
replies to replies, likes, dislikes etc. I won't loose any sleep over
choosing the right word for this filth.

jIH :
> matammoH'eghjaj 'ej Hovmeymaj Hurgh DItIv
Qov :
> Also I suspect the author wants to express the "may" idea with the second
> verb, too, but the way you've translated it is what was written.

Actually no.. The intented meaning was <may we shut up and enjoy the
stars> ; not <may we shut up and may we enjoy the stars>.

jIH :
> matammoH'eghjaj
Qov :
> Note that the suffixes are in the wrong order here. It should be matam'eghmoHjaj.
QISta' :
> the fact that "tammoH" is listed in boQwI' as a single unit could
> definitely be confusing on that point!

Indeed QISta', that's what got me too. Whenever I saw in boQwI' a word
such as {tammoH}, I never thought that the {-moH} would have to be
moved in case another type of suffix needed to be shoved to it. I
believed that Okrand intented this to work as a single word.. Luckily,
we learned that it isn't so. I would suggest though, that since boQwI'
is primarily used by beginners (if you're a grammarian, what would you
need it for ?), it would be nice if in verbs such as {tammoH}, a
comment would be added saying that a beginner needs to take heed of
the order of any suffixes he may attach there. Of course, there is
always the option of hitting "analyze", but I doubt a beginner would
go into that detail..

cpt qunnoq
SIbI'Ha' qIb luche' SItlhpu' 'ej qaS roj

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 2:22 AM, chransberry at gmail.com