[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: buQ

mayql qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 02:49:07 PST 2016

SuStel Qov je, thank you for taking the time to answer. Comments follow.

SuStel :
> That's not a question-as-object. A QAO is where the FIRST sentence is a question.

That is good to know. Thanks for clarifying this. I had been already
trying to find alternative solutions, in the case this indeed was a
QAO ; luckily it isn't.

SuStel :
> May I suggest you set apart direct address with commas? That'll make it
> easier to tell what's a subject or object and what's direct address.

Yes, I will definitely do that ! As a matter of fact, many times,
while I was writing a direct address I was wondering if/how the reader
would easily understand that it is a direct address. By applying your
advice this problem will be solved.

SuStel :
>> buQtaHghachmeylIj Datlhap 'ej Sa'HutDaq Dayuvqu' !
>> Take your constant threats and shove them !
> I dunno if that idiom works in Klingon. If it does, you haven't
> phrased this as a command.

Indeed, I just saw it.. This is but another stupid omission on my
part. I really look forward to the day, I will refrain from such
senseless mistakes. I should have written {buQtaHghachmeylIj tItlhap
'ej Sa'HutDaq tIyuvqu'}

SuStel :
>> ghagh QemjIq lojmItvam wIveghmeH, DIbuQnISbej.
>> In order to go through this wormhole entry, we definitely need to threaten them.
> I think you meant {ghargh}. I don't know if {QemjIq} can be used
> for this. {'och} might be better.

You're right. {'och} is way better. And this verifies the fact, that
one can say almost anything in Klingon, as long as the right word
comes in his mind. If only I had think of {'och}..

SuStel :
>> be'nI'Daj vISawmeH mubuQ.
>> He  threatened me in order to marry his sister.
> If he threatened you once and it's done, you need {-pu'} or {-ta'} on {mubuQ}.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I rarely stop to think about aspect. I
definitely need to work on that too.

Qov :
> I might say {Sa'HutlIj qoDDaq}, because
> merely saying Sa'HutDaq could be interpreted as placing the thing on ones
> butt.  But as SuStel said, it's got to be a command.  You've just described
> the actions here, not given an order. mu'tlhegh yIlughmoH.

True ! If only I'd thought of the word {qoD}.. So, and taking into
account the {qoD}, the correct sentence is (I think)
{buQtaHghachmeylIj tItlhap 'ej Sa'HutlIj qoDDaq tIyuvqu'}.

But wait a minute.. I just noticed it !

{Sa'HutlIj qoDDaq} or {Sa'Hut qoDlIjDaq} ?

Anyway, thank you very much SuStel and Qov, for taking the time to reply !

qunnoq HoD
DaH DIHIvbe'chugh vaj qo'chajDaq toy'wI''a'pu' DImoj