[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: buQ

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sat Feb 13 18:42:05 PST 2016

jatlh SuStel
> jatlh qunnoq HoD:
> > chobuQpa' *jeDay*, bIghel'egh.. DaHjaj ram bIHeghqang'a' ?
> > Before you threaten me jedi ask yourself.. are you willing to die
tonight ?

> May I suggest you set apart direct address with commas? That'll make it
> easier to tell what's a subject or object and what's direct address.

SuStel pointed this out in a subsequent sentence, but you did it here, too.
If you are giving a command in Klingon, give a command:
yIghel'egh = ask yourself (a command)
bIghel'egh = you ask yourself (a statement)

And yes, starring transliterated loanwords is a compromise vIlajchu'bogh.

 > chobuQpa', *jeDay*, ...
>
> > buQtaHghachmeylIj Datlhap 'ej Sa'HutDaq Dayuvqu' !
> > Take your constant threats and shove them !
>
> I dunno if that idiom works in Klingon. If it does, you haven't phrased
this as a
> command.

While it might not be an order a Klingon had ever heard, I think being told
to insert something into one's own body part would be understood as
disrespectful.  To make it clear, I might say {Sa'HutlIj qoDDaq}, because
merely saying Sa'HutDaq could be interpreted as placing the thing on ones
butt.  But as SuStel said, it's got to be a command.  You've just described
the actions here, not given an order. mu'tlhegh yIlughmoH.

- Qov