[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: buQ

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Feb 13 13:28:21 PST 2016

On 2/13/2016 11:16 AM, mayql qunenoS wrote:
> Human chobuQ 'e' DangIl'a' ?
> You dare threaten me human ?
> (Is this a QAO ? because if it is, I know that QAOs are wrong)

That's not a question-as-object. A QAO is where the FIRST sentence is a
question.

> chobuQpa' *jeDay*, bIghel'egh.. DaHjaj ram bIHeghqang'a' ?
> Before you threaten me jedi ask yourself.. are you willing to die tonight ?

May I suggest you set apart direct address with commas? That'll make it
easier to tell what's a subject or object and what's direct address.

chobuQpa', *jeDay*, ...

> buQtaHghachmeylIj Datlhap 'ej Sa'HutDaq Dayuvqu' !
> Take your constant threats and shove them !

I dunno if that idiom works in Klingon. If it does, you haven't phrased
this as a command.

> ghagh QemjIq lojmItvam wIveghmeH, DIbuQnISbej.
> In order to go through this wormhole entry, we definitely need to threaten them.

I think you meant {ghargh}. I don't know if {QemjIq} can be used for
this. {'och} might be better. If Klingons even refer to such phenomena
with the "worm hole" metaphor.

> be'nI'Daj vISawmeH mubuQ.
> He  threatened me in order to marry his sister.

If he threatened you once and it's done, you need {-pu'} or {-ta'} on
{mubuQ}. Without perfective I read this as "he threatens me in order
that I marry his sister; it is his habit to threaten me in order that I
marry his sister; he makes threats (not just one threat) at me in order
that I marry his sister."

http://trimboli.name