[Tlhingan-hol] Type 5 on first noun

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Feb 10 10:33:01 PST 2016

On 2/10/2016 1:09 PM, qov at kli.org wrote:

> I would fight derisively against anything resembling *{Dun
> QamchIyDaq 'uQ'a'}. The only reason 'uQ'a' can follow QamchIyDaq is
> that everything in a sentence can follow QamchIyDaq. To me it's not
> necessary to have a complete sentence in order to have a valid chunk
> of Klingon. For people who feel that {QamchIyDaq 'uQ'a'} is an error,
> do you feel that way about other utterances that lack a verb?

Using phrases that are not complete sentences is fine provided the
phrase is a complete idea. I'd have no idea with a title phrase
{qep'a'vo' puvmeH} because the idea is complete. The idea is "for the
purpose of flying from the conference." You're describing the purpose of
the chapter, or whatever it is you're naming.

{N1-5 N2 [X]} where X doesn't appear is not a complete idea. You've
taken away a vital component of the phrase. {QamchIyDaq 'uQ'a'
SOMETHING}. {QamchIyDaq 'uQ'a'} isn't describing your chapter if it's
about the SOMETHING.

And this isn't just about chapter titles. The Bird of Prey poster uses
{telDaq wovwI'mey} to name a component of a ship. It's defining a term
for you, not giving you a chunk of sentence that you can plug into
another chunk to make a complete one. According to the BoP poster, those
things are called {telDaq wovwI'mey}. Looking at that, I would expect to
be able to say {chu'pu' telDaq wovwI'mey}.

As for dealing with the repetition in canon, that's simple: these
phrases come from translating English phrases "X at/on Y," and Okrand
has forgotten the TKD 3.4 rule. The OBVIOUS translation, if you forget
the rule, is (N1-Daq N2}. Someone should remind him about it. I think
he'll either say, "Oops, my bad!" or he'll come up with some
retro-fitted explanation why these phrases are exceptions to the general
rule.

http://www.trimboli.name/