[Tlhingan-hol] Type 5 on first noun

qov at kli.org qov at kli.org
Wed Feb 10 10:09:02 PST 2016

I, too, think it's odd that people are calling this a noun-noun construction. As far as I'm concerned, any noun phrase is over when you get to a type-5. I don't think it's an error, because it' a repeated pattern in canon. I think the noun or noun phrase ending in the type-5 establishes the setting for a sentence, as it always does, and then, because it's a mere label, there doesn't happen to be a complete sentence there.

If someone asked, {qatlh 'orwI' chaw' qem Qov?} and someone else answered {qep'a'vo' puvmeH} I would understand if someone jumped on the answerer to accuse them of not having spoken a full sentence. They'd say that a -meH clause is supposed to precede the main clause, and as there is no main clause in the sentence it's not right.  I'd give them a pat on the head or a gold star or whatever it was they wanted, but I wouldn't have a problem with the answer as it stands.

Likewise when a label or title says {QamchIyDaq 'uQ'a'} : we're all agreed it's not a sentence. If the title were merely {QamchIyDaq} or {'uQ'a'} I think we'd all be fine with it and have no questions.  If the sentence were {QamchIyDaq 'uQ'a' 'oH} or {QamchIyDaq 'uQ'a' Del lut 'ay'vam} no one would blink. "This chapter describes the feast at Kram-chee." To me any chapter heading is an implied {... Del lut 'ay'vam} so anything that would reasonably start off that sentence fits well as a chapter heading. Yes, it fails to be a complete sentence.

I would fight derisively against anything resembling *{Dun  QamchIyDaq 'uQ'a'}. The only reason 'uQ'a' can follow QamchIyDaq is that everything in a sentence can follow QamchIyDaq. To me it's not necessary to have a complete sentence in order to have a valid chunk of Klingon. For people who feel that {QamchIyDaq 'uQ'a'} is an error, do you feel that way about other utterances that lack a verb?

- Qov