[Tlhingan-hol] Interesting {je}

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 04:17:20 PST 2016

SuStel:
>> Except {je} does not mean <Someone does a thing> <Someone does a different
>> thing also>. Conjoining verbs like that is what {'ej} is for. See my reply
>> to André Müller on this.

ghunchu'wI':
> I used to be similarly strict in my belief about {je}. Then it was
> pointed out to me that Marc Okrand once wrote:
>> qep'a' wejDIchDaq jatlhtaH tlhIngan Hol HaDwI'pu'. ghoHtaH je. tIv'eghtaH je.
>
> http://klingonska.org/canon/1996-11-10b-news.txt
>
> According to this, {V1. V2 je} *can* mean [V1 happens. V2 also
> happens.] TKD simply gives incomplete information in this case.
>
> Accepting this usage means that {yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'} doesn't
> have to be dismissed as "poetic grammar".

There's also this SkyBox card:

{lI’­qu’ tlhI­ngan may’ taj. not Hub­’egh­rup­Ha’ lo’­wI’. taj
Dop­mey­Daq nargh cha’ taj­Hom. ghop lu­Qan taj­Hom­mey. pe’­laH je.
moQ­Daq DuQ­wI’ Hom­mey jej tu’­lu’. pay’ HIv­DI’ lo’­wI’ pagh mup­DI’
QIH­chu’ bIH.}
"The Klingon battle knife is designed primarily for versatility of
use, so that the user is never caught at a disadvantage. Two small,
secondary blades eject from the knife’s sides, providing both a hand
guard and another set of cutting edges. A brutally spiked pommel
fastens the hilt together to provide a damaging surprise attack or
give a devastating backhand stroke."

The relevant part: {ghop lu­Qan taj­Hom­mey. pe’­laH je.}  One can
interpret this to mean "The secondary blades (in addition to the main
blades) can cut", but another (perhaps more natural?) way to read this
is as "the secondary blades protect the hand; they can also cut".