[Tlhingan-hol] Interesting {je}

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Thu Feb 4 15:40:50 PST 2016

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 2:29 PM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
> Except {je} does not mean <Someone does a thing> <Someone does a different
> thing also>. Conjoining verbs like that is what {'ej} is for. See my reply
> to André Müller on this.

I used to be similarly strict in my belief about {je}. Then it was
pointed out to me that Marc Okrand once wrote:
> qep'a' wejDIchDaq jatlhtaH tlhIngan Hol HaDwI'pu'. ghoHtaH je. tIv'eghtaH je.

http://klingonska.org/canon/1996-11-10b-news.txt

According to this, {V1. V2 je} *can* mean [V1 happens. V2 also
happens.] TKD simply gives incomplete information in this case.

Accepting this usage means that {yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'} doesn't
have to be dismissed as "poetic grammar".

-- ghunchu'wI'