[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Ha'on

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Feb 4 06:32:20 PST 2016

On 2/4/2016 9:18 AM, Steven Boozer wrote:
> qunnoq
>> Ca'non master :
>>> adverbials, time stamps and place stamps should go at the
>>> beginning of their clause, which is not necessarily the beginning
>>> of the sentence.
>
> E.g.
>
> jIlay'DI' reH batlh jIpabchugh Qapla'meywIj Hoch vIta'ta' 'e'
> DaHar'a'
> Did you think that my word of honor would have carried me this far?
> (PB)
>
>>> (There are one or two subtle variations, but you shouldn't
>>> confuse yourself with those now.)
>>
>> Now I'm curious. Could you at least share an example of these
>> variations?
>
> Compare these:
>
> DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS
> be'nI'pu' lurSa' be'etor je.
> The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor, are constantly
> seeking a higher standing for the House of Duras within the Klingon
> High Council. (S26)
>
> SuvwI' DameH puqloDwI' vIghojHa'moH DaH 'e' vItlhoj
> I see now, I have failed to raise my son a man  (PB)

There is also the singular case of

    reH DIvI' Duj vISuv vIneH
    I've always wanted to fight a Federation ship (ST5)

If a {neH} sentence-as-object used {'e'} and {net} like most others,
this would be said as *{DIvI' Duj vISuv reH 'e' vIneH}. Why does the
{reH} move? One speculative idea is that {neH}-based SAOs actually take
the previous sentence as its object without a pronomial stand-in: {reH
[DIvI' Duj vISuv] vIneH}.

And then we get exceptions like

    'e' neHbe' vavoy
    that wasn't what my father wanted (ST6)

wherein we get a violation of the rule not to use {'e'} with {neH}, but
that might be because Azetbur was referencing a sentence someone else
had said, and so needed SOMETHING as the object.

We don't really know much about using {neH} with SAO beyond the basic form.

http://trimboli.name